Once you or your child has contracted an illness, there are a lot of natural options that can shorten the duration of the illness and lessen the symptoms, as some of the most readily prescribed options can have serious side effects. Fortunately, it is possible to protect against some cases of illness with natural remedies that boost the body’s amazing natural immune system. Even once an illness has struck; there are things that one can do to get the family back on track. Herbal and natural remedies may not be a cure-all, but they can help shorten the duration and get you feeling better faster.
So, when the flu bites, when the cold stings, here are a few herbs from your kitchen medicine cabinet that can come in handy. Pick and choose what works for you……
Symptoms and Causes: Fever due to cold, exertion and exposure to heat. Rise in body temperature, exhaustion without any reason, restlessness, watering of eyes, body ache, and heaviness of body, tastelessness, and aversion to food.
Precautions: Avoid heavy, cold, sour food, cold drinks and exposure to rain and cold. Use garlic, ginger in the diet and take rest.
Note: Consult a doctor if fever exists for more than 2 days. Consume plenty of water/ liquids (boiled).
Fever associated with Common Cold
Symptoms and Causes: Sore throat, sneezing, cough, generally feeling unwell, loss of taste and smell, headache.
- Amrithaballi and Adusoge: Make a decoction with 1/2 cup of crushed leaves of ‘adusoge’ and crushed stems of ‘amrithaballi’. Take 40-60 ml of this decoction with 1 tsp of honey 2-3 times a day one hour before meals for 3 days.
- Amrithaballi: Take an 8″ long shoot of ‘amrithaballi’ and peel the papery bark. Cut it into small pieces. Boil the pieces in 1 litre of water and reduce it to 120 ml. Take 60 ml of the decoction 2 times a day for 3 days.
Plants Used: Tinospora cordifolia (shoot)
- Adusoge leaves: Crush a fistful of leaves of ‘adusoge’ and mix in 1 cup of hot water. Strain the infusion after 15 minutes. Take 1/2 cup of the infusion in the morning and evening for 3 days.
Plants Used: Adathoda vasica (Leaf)
- Adusoge roots: Boil 2- 4 root pieces of ‘adusoge’ in 4 cups of water, till it reduces to 1 cup. Take 1 cup of the decoction 3 times a day for 3 days.
Plants Used: Adathoda vasica (root)
- Turmeric powder: Mix 1 tsp of ‘turmeric’ powder in a cup of warm milk and take 3 times a day for 3 days.
Plants Used: Curcuma longa (Tuber)
- Ondelaga, Tulsi and Black pepper: Make decoction of 50 gm each of ‘ondelaga’ and ‘tulsi’ leaves in 250 ml of water and reduce it to half. Mix a pinch of ‘black pepper’ in 1/2 cup of the decoction and take thrice daily for 7 days.
- Kalmegh: Boil 30 grams of ‘kalmegh’ shoots in 1 liter of water until it is reduced to 120 ml. Strain and take this decoction as 2 equal doses twice a day on empty stomach.
Plants Used: Andrographis paniculata (Shoot)
- Madhunashini: Take some fresh leaves and wash. Mix one part of leaves with four parts of water and boil to reduce it to 1/4th the original quantity. Filter and use. Take 15 to 30ml of decoction twice a day on empty stomach early in the morning and evening.
Plants Used: Gymnema sylvestre (Leaf)
Precautions: Drink lot of fluids, get more rest, add honey to your diet, maintain good hygiene, and avoid exposure to cold food, cold, dust.
Fever due to exertion and exposure to heat
Symptoms and Causes: Person might feel very thirsty, dehydrated, giddy, burning sensation in the body associated with nausea and vomiting, muscle cramps.
- Dasavala: Soak 4 flowers of ‘dasavala’ (use only the single whorled varieties and not the ornamental hybrids) overnight in 1/2 litre of cold water. Take the filtered infusion thrice daily for 3 days.
Plants Used: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis (Flower)
- Sariva: Pound 1/4 cup of dried ‘sariva’ roots into coarse powder and mix it in 1 cup of water. Keep it overnight and drink half of the filtered infusion next morning and other half in the evening for 3 days.
Plants Used: Hemidesmus indicus (Root)
- Neem Bark: Pound a 3″x3″ piece of ‘neem bark’ and prepare its hot infusion in water. Take 1 cup in the morning, noon and night for 3 days.
Plants Used: Azadirachta indica (Bark)
Precautions: Drink plenty of water, take a sponge bath, remove tight clothing, and avoid hot weather, heavy exercise. Avoid coffee and alcohol. If such measures fail to provide relief seek medical help.
Leave a reply